Adapting to the evolving goals of your finance sector might be the difference between creating a decent career and a truly outstanding one. Therefore, how can you speed up your career in finance?
My Personal Experience
Usually, the questions finance people ask me are:
- How can I accelerate my career in Finance?
- What should I do to be promoted?
- Which skills should I learn to get a job in Finance?
Therefore, in this guide, I am answering these questions.
Above all, my 14+ years of experience helped me identify what you need to learn to be more valuable and have a better career in finance. You need certain skills, and for each of them, I explain why you should learn them but, most importantly, what to learn.
Important Skills to Accelerate Your Finance Career
Here are the main ten skills you need to learn to accelerate your career in Finance:
- Financial Analysis
- Budgeting & Forecasting
- Cost Accounting
- Accounting Principles
- Finance Business Partnering
- Business Acumen
- Power BI
- Power Query
How Can You Learn Them?
I am giving you my 10-step plan I use to learn a new skill.
First, pick up one of the skills listed. Then, for the next two weeks, follow these steps:
- Each day, pick one topic from the “What to learn” page.
- After that, Google it.
- Then, look for articles and blog posts on this topic
- Furthermore, look for experts on the topic and follow them on LinkedIn.
- In addition, find a YouTube video or podcast on this topic (the best is to find one with an expert you identified.
- Above all, document everything you learn and the links to the articles, podcasts, and YouTube videos you found in a document.
- Afterward, explain what you have learned to a colleague or a friend. Teaching somebody else is the best way to learn.
- Additionally, share your document with your best links with somebody else or even here on LinkedIn!
- Most importantly, apply what you learned in your work environment.
- Finally, by trying to apply what you learned, you will identify some holes in your knowledge.
Moreover, repeat the steps from 2 to 9 to solve these weaknesses. Additionally, do that every month, and in three months, you will have more impact at work. And if you have more impact, it will help your career goals!
The Bottom Line – Advancing in Your Finance Career is Possible
The possibilities available to finance professionals who desire to advance in their careers are many. You have the option of working as an independent financial consultant or as a top executive in various roles. But establishing a career demands a clear head and a well-thought-out strategy.
In order to learn more strategies and skills in finance, you can take my course to accelerate your career in finance faster.